January 5, 2014
Hazelnut and vanilla caramel sandwich cookies
It’s 2014, I hope you had an awesome new year! Some of you might say finally and others might be wide-eyed and shocked at the thought of an end to 2013. For me, it’s a bit of both. 2013 was a bit tough on me but it went so fast at the same time.
I have written down my New Years resolutions/goals for 2014. I’m a bit shocked at myself, I’ve never ever really made any New Years resolutions so I’ll hope to see what happens there. What are your New Years resolutions for 2014?
- 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 3/4 cup Hazelnut flour
- 1/2 cup Icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom
- 4 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 4 tbsp Almond milk
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 4 tbsp Coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste (or seeds from 1 vanilla bean pod)
- 1 cup Icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp Almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil and almond milk. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the plain flour, hazelnut flour, sifted icing sugar and ground cardamom until combined.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until combined. If it is sticky, add in a little more plain flour or if the dough is too dry, add in a tiny amount of almond milk. The dough should come together and shouldn't stick to your hands when touched.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it is about 1/4" in thickness.
- Cut the dough using a fluted cookie cutter (or any other cutter of your choice) and place the cut-out cookies on the prepared tray, leaving about 1 cm between each cookie (they don't tend to spread as much).
- Bake for 20 minutes of until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the icing: combine the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the icing sugar and vanilla into the caramel.
- Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle.
- Pipe about 1 tsp of the caramel icing onto one cookie and top with another cookie.