Yesterday was officially the last day of Term 3. I’m excited and thrilled. All my assignments have been handed in and I’m just so happy that I’ll finally have some time to myself, to relax, bake a tonne… and finish watching Breaking Bad. I know, I’m so delayed on the bandwagon there.
Excuse my delayed-ness…
My new lenses finally arrived in the mail this week and I’m jumping for joy. As you may not know, my mum surprised me with a new camera (one in which I had my eyes on for quite a while now) which was super sweet of her.
Prepare your bodies for a whole heap of photos- and a whole heap of food- because they’re coming.
It has been super cold these past few days and the so windy that I can sometimes hear the whistling of the wind at night- of course, me being me and liking the most unusual noises- I sleep ever so comfortably to the sound of wind. I also love the sound of footsteps on gravel and the clinking of glass. I know… I’m so very weird but I’m sure I’m not the only one out there.
Ok, so enough about me. These brownies. Oh my god.
Super dense, moist and chocolate-y morsels of heaven in your mouth. Drizzled with silky smooth vegan salted caramel sauce and studded with crunchy roasted almonds.
I’ll let you guys take a deep breath now…
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze. All opinions are my own but I think they’re pretty rad.
- 1 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 110g coconut oil (or vegetable shortening)
- 110g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup (175ml) Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Blue Diamond roasted salted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- To make the caramel place the raw sugar, maple syrup and water in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Cook until a golden-amber colour.
- Once caramelized, remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut milk. If the sugar starts to harden, place the caramel back on low heat to just melt it again. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the spelt flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the coconut oil and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until melted. Alternatively- you can use a microwave.
- Once melted, stir in the raw sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the chocolate mixture, almond milk and prepared flax eggs to the flour mixture, whisking until the batter in smooth and lump-free.
- Pour half for the batter into the prepared tin, smoothing all the way out to the sides. Drizzle over the caramel sauce. Spread over the remaining batter an sprinkle the chopped almonds over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until the edges are cooked and the center is ever so lightly wobbly when shaken.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Note: You can omit the 1 tsp salt in the caramel and if you’re a bit to scared to try it out.