June 21, 2014
Matcha, walnut and coconut chip cookies + Winter colds
We’re nearly at the end of term 2… there’s just one more week before I have a 2 week holiday. A much needed holiday, that’s for sure.
Even though this was just a short 9 week term it feels like it’s been dragging on for ages on end and I’m dreaming of summer days, sipping on fresh iced tea and homemade ice pops but instead in sitting here in the middle of my bed, snuggled up in a fluffy blanket, a runny nose and a whole box of tissues by my side- just in case.
I’m having lots of naps which is good since I never really get to do those anymore. Also sipping on homemade chai tea cooked in a tiny little saucepan we reserve for occasions as such.
Oh an nibbling on these cookies… match, walnut and coconut cookies, such a pairing.
Crumbly green tea flavoured cookies with exciting chunks of walnuts and shredded coconut. Best served straight out of the oven while they’re still ooey gooey in the centre. Oh and don’t forget the chai tea! Trust me on this.
Makes: 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup (125g) coconut oil, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal+3 tbsp water- alternatively use 1 whole egg)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof powder.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and matcha powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy (approx. 5 min).
- Beat in the flax egg until combined.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture, desiccated coconut and walnuts until the mixture comes together.
- Roll the mixture into tablespoon sized balls, flattening slightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.