August 4, 2013
Coconut, cranberry and pecan cookies and cooking vegan
I’ve began to start eating and cooking vegan these past few months due to some digestion issues. I have began to feel healthier and brighter as a result… I’m happy to announce that I have been vegan for two months now and it literally is really easy to eliminate any animal products from my diet.
I’m not really a big fan of meat, so it was easy to forget about that but milk and eggs were a tiny issue as I love sweet food.
I have also started to experiment with different ingredients like flax seeds and linseed, which have the same properties of an egg in baked goods when mixed with water. Brown rice flour, buckwheat and pysyllium husks are some other ingredients which can now be found in my kitchen pantry.
I made these cookies when I was craving flapjacks.
I guess they are a flapjack-sort of cookie which is chewy on the inside whilst being crunchy on the outside… they’re also studded with coconut, pecans and cranberries and packed with healthy goodness like coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and oats.
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut oil, softened
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseeds + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 85g plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Beat the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the flax egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the plain flour, baking soda, cinnamon and rolled oats with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut, pecans and cranberries.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the lined trays, leaving about 5cm between each cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on the trays for 5 minuted before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.