January 21, 2015
Banana maple bread and cooking with Hippie Lane
A lovely insta-pal of mine, Taline recently released a new app, Hippie Lane.
It’s a little desserts app, adundant with amazing, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten free and vegan dessert recipes. After purchasing the app just yesterday, I’ve already made three recipes. I’m obsessed.
This banana and maple bread is one of them.
This banana bread is gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan and too delicious. It’s filled with all things good for your person, almond meal, flax seeds, coconut oil and millet, just to name a few.
Which is good because I’ve been trying to incorporate more of ‘the healthy stuff’ in my diet. Rather than trying to focus on the things I’m eating, I’m focusing on the things I’m not eating. Grains and carby things.
The final product has a slight caramel-y flavour from the bananas combined with the earthy flavour of the flax seeds. It’s slightly sweet, which is actually a trait that I love in breads and cakes which brings back a handful of memories.
During my time overseas, visiting my family, we would be served these tiny amazing cakes, all studded with different flavour combinations and textures but I clearly remember each cake to have this slight sweetness. Not too much sweetness but not too little that your taste buds can’t pick it up. Just in the middle. Ah, the memories.
The recipe is based on almond meal and millet (of which I replaced with quinoa flakes), a staple in a gluten-free kitchen. It’s sweetened with maple syrup although you could replace that with rice malt syrup for a low-fructose option or honey if you’re not vegan.
The flaxseed’s also help bind the whole cake (is it cake or bread?) together. If you’re familiar with my baking, you’ll know that I mostly replace eggs with ‘flax eggs’ or ‘chia eggs’ if possible. They’re also packed with omega-3, so you know, it’s basically salad….
You can purchase the app from iTunes here and I seriously recommend you do because its rad as hell.
I’ll just leave you with the recipe, extracted from the Hipple Lane app. Have a lovely week.
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 2 cups (220g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) desicatted coconut
- 1/2 cup (50g) millet flakes (I used coconut flakes)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60ml) liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) maple syrup
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1 extra banana, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Combine ground flax seeds with the water and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. The mixture should thicken and resemble an egg-white.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut, millet, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredeints into the dry and pour in the loaf tin. Decorate with the extra banana (I just sliced it down the middle).
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden.