April 18, 2015
Savoury cooking & filming with the new Down 2 Earth range
As you may well know, I’m a baker. I love all things sweet and I don’t often share many savoury recipes.
I do, however, still cook (of course). Whilst savoury cooking isn’t my preferred style, I still enjoy it. And hell yes, I enjoyed this.
I haven’t really shared any savoury posts on my blog, nor have I ever shared a video before. So that’s why I’m very excited and slightly freaked-out about sharing something I’ve been secretly working on the past few weeks. And it’s safe to say that I’m quite impressed with the result.
I’ve teamed up with Chris’ Dips (which I am super excited to work with because heck, I’ve grown up snacking on their bomb hommus) to share with you, their new Down 2 Earth dip range, a recipe and a little video of how I cook with the new range.
They’ve came up with four new (and exciting) flavours.
Mexican-style bean and corn salsa.
Sweet potato and harissa hommus.
Spiced carrot and tumeric dip.
Eggplant and miso dip.
I’ll just let that sink in for ya…
Did I also mention that they’re vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, low in sugar and fat? Yep, shut the door. Natural ingredients, simple stuff.
What I love most about these dips is that they’re so versatile. Dipping vegetable sticks, using as a pizza or nacho sauce, shaking through dressings, stirring through a cold pasta… I could go on. Head on over to Eat Love Share for more recipes using the new range.
I’ve decided to share my very own take on how I cook with the new range… baked falafel lettuce cups with Mexican salsa and lime-tahini dressing. Can I get an amen?
A filling of crispy, fluffy falafel morsels, a good smother of this Mexican-style bean and corn salsa topped with fresh vegetables and drizzled with a tangy, creamy tahini sauce sauce.
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free. Amazing.
I’ll leave you with the recipe and this video.I hope you enjoy.
Music- Urban Cone, New York
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp Down 2 Earth Mexican-style bean and corn salsa
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil, to drizzle
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Down 2 Earth Mexican-style bean and corn salsa
- lettuce cups
- diced cucumber
- diced capsicum
- diced tomato
- chopped parsley, corriander and mint
- lime or lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place all falafel ingredients in a large food processor and blitz until combined (but still a tad chunky).
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into a ball and place on the prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil (about 1 tbsp) over the falafels and bake for 10-15 min, rotating the falafels around every 5 or so minutes until lightly golden.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until combined.
- Serve falafels in lettuce cups of cucumber, capsicum and tomato. Top with Down 2 Earth salsa, chopped parsley and drizzle with the lime-tahini dressing.
Categories: Breads Breakfast & Brunch Dairy-Free Gluten-free Sugar-free Vegan
Tags: bean, cashew, Chris' dips, corn, falafel, mexican, sauce, tahini
January 21, 2015
Banana maple bread and cooking with Hippie Lane
A lovely insta-pal of mine, Taline recently released a new app, Hippie Lane.
It’s a little desserts app, adundant with amazing, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten free and vegan dessert recipes. After purchasing the app just yesterday, I’ve already made three recipes. I’m obsessed.
This banana and maple bread is one of them.
Categories: Breads Breakfast & Brunch Cakes, Cupcakes, Muffins & Cakey Things Dairy-Free Gluten-free Sugar-free Vegan
Tags: almond, banana, bread, cake, cinnamon, flaxseeds
January 15, 2015
Cinnamon mini muffins
These cinnamon mini muffins are dusted and baked with homemade ground cinnamon. I’ve never really ground my own spices, it just seemed to be a waste of time to me. Not until I tried it out last week and my god.
I can see, smell and taste the difference.
Categories: Breakfast & Brunch Cakes, Cupcakes, Muffins & Cakey Things Dairy-Free Gluten-free Sugar-free
Tags: breakfast, cinnamon, mini, muffin